- Career Quiz
- What next after the Career Quiz?
- Who does the sector suit?
- The sector and its roles
- Career Advice and Tips
- Attract employers (People Search)
- Looking for work
The Disability, Community and Aged Care sector is about people working with people to make life better. If you have seen a lot of life and you have the right attributes, you might find that what you have to offer is both of real value and in demand.
Our sector positively welcomes mature applicants for roles at every level. There are many qualities and skills that come with age and experience which make older applicants ideal for the sector.
Research has shown that employers value the following traits in mature workers:
- Experience and wisdom
- Loyalty to employers
- Good work ethic
Benefits of the sector for mature workers
- Flexible work schedule – varied hours, ideal if you’re looking to spend less time working in the run up to retirement
- Varied and people-focussed work
- On-the-job training opportunities
- Opportunity to act as a mentor
- Work-life balance
- Making a positive difference to your life by making a positive difference to the lives of others
- Responsibility, ownership of the solutions and support you provide
- Initiative – working individually, you’ll have the opportunity to use your own abilities to create solutions
- Teamwork – you’ll have the chance to work in highly supportive teams that span cultures, ages, and abilities
In this sector, your life skills and experience will give you a head start, and there’s even a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) scheme. That said it’s still a good idea to plan ahead when entering a new sector, especially if you have been out of the workforce for a while.
Want to know more? Contact our career centre for free, independent advice.