National Disability Services Limited ACN 008 445 485 ("NDS") is committed to providing the disability sector and the community with the highest levels of professional service. This includes protecting your privacy. We understand the importance placed on the privacy of your personal information.
- how we collect and use your personal information;
- your right of access to your personal information;
- your right to inspect and, where necessary, correct the personal information that we hold about you;
- your right to have your privacy complaints investigated and resolved; and
- your right to have your personal information protected from misuse or unauthorised access.
What is personal information?
Personal information is any information that can be used to identify you. This includes any personal information or opinions about you, whether true or not, no matter how the information or opinions are recorded.
Why do we collect personal information?
We collect personal information from users of this Website in order to provide those users with certain services or functionality in areas of this Website. We may restrict access to certain areas of this Website only to users who have provided personal information.
We also collect personal information for the following purposes:
- to consider and assess your suitability for employment in the disability sector or related sectors;
- to provide services to you;
- to receive services from you; and
- to inform you of matters in which we believe you may have an interest.
What happens if you choose not to provide your personal information?
You are not obliged to give us your personal information. However, if you choose not to provide NDS with your personal details we may not be able to provide our services to you and may not allow you to access certain areas of this Website.
What personal information do we collect and how do we use it?
The personal information that we collect and hold usually falls into the following categories:
- when you visit the publicly available parts of this Website, NDS or the Website Hosting Provider used by NDS may collect your IP address, your top level domain name, the date and time of your visit, the pages you access, the previous website you visited and the type of web browser you use;
- we may record your e-mail address if you send us a message or apply to access certain areas of this Website; or
- if you apply to access certain areas of this Website we will ask you to register with us. During the registration process we will ask you to provide personal information to us. For example, we may collect information about your name, your telephone number and your email address.
We will not use your personal information for any purpose which is not related to a service we provide to you or to the functionality of this Website. We will not use your personal information in a manner contrary to this policy. We will not add your email address to any mailing list unless you have given us permission to do so.
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we hold is accurate and up to date. If you feel that information about you is not accurate or your details have or are about to change, please inform us and, upon verification, we will correct or update your personal information (in the manner we describe below).
If you would like to access any of our services on an anonymous basis please tell us. If this is possible and lawful, we will take reasonable steps to comply with your request. However, if you choose not to provide us with your personal information we are not likely to be able to provide you with the services or access to sections of this Website you require.
How do we collect personal information?
Where possible, we collect your personal information directly from you. However, in some areas of this Website, another user of this Website might post personal information about you. NDS has established Community Rules that prohibit this conduct, however, should this occur please contact us and we will remove your personal information.
In some situations we collect personal information about you from a third party source. If we collect information about you in this way, we will take reasonable steps to contact you and ensure that you are aware of the purposes for which we are collecting your personal information and the organisations to which we might disclose your information, subject to any exceptions under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
When do we disclose your personal information?
We will use and disclose information for the primary purpose for which it was collected. We may also use and disclose personal information for purposes that are related or ancillary to the main reasons we collect it. For example, we may use your personal information for the purpose of providing you with information about other services offered by us. NDS may also be required, by law, to disclose personal information to law enforcement officers or other persons.
We never disclose personal information that we collect to third parties for the purpose of allowing them to direct market their products and services unless you have given us your permission for us to do this.
NDS engages some third party contractors to perform services for us, which may involve the contractor handling personal information we hold. In these circumstances we prohibit the third party contractor from using personal information about you except for the specific purpose for which we supply it.
If you use our website or any online facility we confirm that we may utilise tracking software and cookies. A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers downloaded on to a device when the user accesses certain websites. A cookie will allow a website to recognise a user’s device.
A cookie will contain the name of internet location (the domain) from which the cookie has come and the lifetime of the cookie (a cookie will usually expire after a certain period of time).
Two types of cookies are used on this website:
- Session cookies which are temporary cookies that remain in the cookie file of your browser until you leave the site; and
- Persistent cookies which remain in the cookie file of your browser for much longer (though how long will depend on the lifetime of the specific cookie).
We use session cookies:
- To allow you to carry information across pages of our site and avoid having to re-enter information.
We use persistent cookies:
- We may use persistent cookies from time to time to help us recognise you as a unique visitor when you return to our website and to monitor your use of our website;
- To allow us to link you to any of our Partners of Affiliates should you come to our website through a paid advert or banner on a website of an Affiliate or Partner.
Use of web beacons and other tracking software
Some of our web pages may contain web beacons which allow us to count users who have visited web pages. Web beacons collect only limited information including a cookie number, time and date of a page view, and a description of the page on which the web beacon resides. These beacons do not carry any personally identifiable information and are used to track the effectiveness of a particular marketing campaign.
NDS may use Saas and Cloud computing technologies from time to time and your information may be stored outside Australia. We will not transfer personal information to a recipient in a foreign country unless this information will have appropriate protection as required by the relevant privacy laws.
Access to your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to certain exceptions provided for in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
We will provide access by allowing you to inspect, take notes of or receive copies or print outs of the personal information that we hold about you. To obtain access please make your request in writing to our Privacy Officer. Our Privacy Officer can be contacted on 1300 637 637 or email@example.com.
Our contact details are:
GPO Box 2687
New South Wales 2001
For security reasons you will be required to put your request in writing and provide proof of your identity. This is necessary to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is not undermined.
When will access be denied?
Access will be denied if:
- the request does not relate to the personal information of the person making the request;
- providing access would pose a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of a person;
- providing access would create an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others;
- the request is frivolous or vexatious;
- the request relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings;
- the information is subject to legal professional privilege;
- providing access would prejudice negotiations with the individual making the request;
- access would be unlawful;
- denial of access is authorised or required by law;
- access would prejudice law enforcement activities;
- access discloses a ‘commercially sensitive’ decision making process or information; or
- any other reason that is provided for in the National Privacy Principles or the Privacy Act (1988).
If we deny access to information we will give you our reasons for denying access.
We will take all reasonable steps to provide you with access to the information requested within 14 days of your request. In situations where the request is complicated or requires access to a large volume of information, we will provide access to the information requested within 30 days.
Costs and charges
NDS may charge you a fee to reimburse us for the costs we incur relating to your request for access to information.
We have adopted appropriate security features in order to protect and keep secure personal information from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction. We regularly review our security and encryption technologies and strive to protect personal information to the highest level possible.
Our Online Security tips can help you minimise your own risk.
We employ Secure Service Layer (SSL) Technology whenever any transaction is completed over our Site. Transactions involving the passage of personal information occur in one of our secure online areas only. SSL technology encrypts the information you send through our Site. The use of SSL technology requires two components
- An SSL–compatible browser; and
- A web server to perform “key–exchange” that establishes a secure connection.
For you to benefit from the SSL Technology which we have implemented:
- you will need a browser with SSL capabilities. The latest versions of commonly used web browsers generally have this capability. However, it is your responsibility to check that this is the case. If you do not already have a browser with SSL capabilities, you can download an SSL browser from a vendor's website.
- You will also need an internet service provider that enables SSL technology. Nearly all internet service providers automatically enable SSL technology, but you will need to ensure that this is the case with your service provider.
NDS makes no warranty or representation in respect of the strength or effectiveness of the encryption capabilities of SSL Technology and NDS is not responsible in any way for events arising from any unauthorised access of the information you provide.
How to contact us
If you would like more information on privacy or have any questions in relation to this policy please contact our Privacy Officer. We can be contacted by telephone or mail as follows:
GPO Box 2687, Sydney
NSW 2001 Australia
1300 637 637
We reserve the right to review, and if necessary, change this policy without notice to you.