- Carecareers in Victoria
- Disability Jobs in Melbourne
- Disability Jobs in VIC
- Aged & Community Care Jobs in Melbourne
- Aged & Community Care Jobs in VIC
- Workforce Promotion
Workforce Promotion: About Disability
Key facts about disability in Australia:
- More than 4 million Australians have disability, or around 18% of the population.
- SANE Australia estimates that 45 per cent of the population experience a mental health disorder during their lifetime.
- Every seven hours, a child is diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder and every two hours, a child is diagnosed with an intellectual disability.
- Almost one-third of people with disability has a profound or severe disability.
- The likelihood of living with disability increases with age; one quarter (26.9%) of people aged 60-64 years are living with disability. Over eight in ten people aged 90 and over (84.6%) have a disability.
- The Australian Government is spending over $22 billion a year on the NDIS.
- There will be 500,000 people participating in the NDIS at full rollout.
- Support Workers for in home care and community access
- Allied Health (Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy)
- Behavioural support and Psychology
- Dietetics, Exercise Physiology, Personal Training
- Support Coordination
- Planning and Local Area Coordination
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Finance & Administration
If this interests you, please click on the ‘Job Seekers’ or ‘Employers’ links on the main landing page.
For more background on the sector:
This annual NDS survey report articulates the challenges facing the disability sector and current priorities for disability services.
This document analyses trends in the disability workforce, and how much certain parts of it are or are not changing.
This is the Victorian Government workforce plan for the NDIS. If you are researching the disability sector, it is always good to have an understanding of the policy background and what needs to happen for disability and the NDIS to work in Victoria.
This is the Australian Bureau of Statistics disability site. This is a good and broad snapshot of the Australian disability figures, including in previous years.
For more information contact:
Tom Aberdeen, Victorian Workforce Promotion Project Coordinator,
NDS, Level 6, 369 Royal Parade, Parkville, 3052
Phone(03) 8341 4300