Training and qualifications

High quality training and skills development in the disability, community and aged care sector can enhance your job satisfaction and career progression, as well as your ability to support clients.

The key is to find the training package that works for you.

The type of training needed and offered will be based on the role you are in and your existing qualifications and experience. 

For most support roles you will need to have your First Aid Certificate and a valid drivers licence.

What sort of areas can I train in?

Qualifications relating specifically to community-related training include:

  • Aged care
  • Nursing
  • Home and community care
  • Disability
  • Employment services
  • Career development
  • Counselling
  • Information, advice and referral
  • Case management
  • Advocacy
  • Community service work


How and where can I undertake training?

There is scope to train in the workplace, online with distance learning or in a class room setting through Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). Your training is likely to be a combination of theoretical and practical work:

Workplace learning – the culture of workplace learning encourages the acquisition of new skills, knowledge and ways of working with others. There are many examples of workers who, when offered learning opportunities at work, have developed and undertaken challenging new roles.

Traineeships – a traineeship is a job that combines work and training. Training can take place in the workplace or in combination with some off the job training. Certificates III & IV in Disability are approved traineeships in NSW.

Courses – in the sector, you will undertake training to learn the skills and knowledge for a job. The programs available are full or part-time, and are usually offered off the job – sometimes with a period of work experience.

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) – the national training system encourages experienced workers to have their skills recognised against units of competency. The recognition process involves providing evidence of skills and knowledge to a qualified assessor.


When will I train?

Depending on the training type and its method of delivery, you may be able to train in intensive blocks (e.g. a four day course), during day release from your employer or during evenings and weekends.


Will I need any qualifications before I start?

There are many entry points into the sector. Some roles accept someone fresh out of school or with no previous qualifications. Alternatively you may already have some experience and be able to bypass the early qualifications. This is known as Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Whatever your level, there are qualifications available to suit you.


What qualifications can I gain?

The qualifications available to you range from Certificate I to Certificate IV, Diplomas, Vocational Graduate Qualifications, and Masters and Doctorates in both Community Services and Disability. 

  • Certificate III – for workers carrying out activities which support a defined range of skilled work
  • Diploma – for workers who are responsible for the coordination and management of agencies delivering services or initiating new approaches
  • Advanced Diploma – for workers providing specialist services, resources to other workers, professional supervision of staff and volunteers

For more information see Standard Qualifications

How will my training be funded?

Funding for training and qualifications is entirely dependant on what and where you choose to study, and your employer's training policies.


What are the advantages of training?

Training and the attainment of qualifications will help to lead to improved earning potential, better career prospects, and a better chance to stand out from the competition.